Freedom caravan and camping club
Visit Facebook
See us at Google Plus
Natural England exempted organisation


Do you want to start your own campsite, touring caravan site or glamping business?

Starting up a campsite is relatively easy and could earn you between £5,000 and £25,000 per year. Whether you are a small holding, private garden, farm, pub or school. All you need is some spare land, drinking water and toilet waste point. Dreaming of starting your own campsite

Freedom camping club are a fully certified exempted organisation and have legal powers to licence any piece of land deemed suitable for camping and caravanning to operate as a campsite. You don't need to apply for planning permission or a licence from your local authority and its a great way to get a small campsite running in areas where planning approval would not normally be given.

There are 4 types of camping certificates which we can issue to your site. We can offer you 5 all year caravan pitches, unlimited tent camping pitches, unlimited rally pitches and unlimited member only rally pitches for upto 5 days. To operate a campsite on your land by licence of freedom camping club you will need to become a club steward, this doesn't necessarily mean that you have to do work for the club or be involved in meetings. It simply means that you will be more accountable to the club, this is the only way we can offer the added benefits of our club that you can't get with other clubs.

Our aim is to bring diversity and flexibility to camping and caravanning, making it possible for you to offer alternative methods of camping to our members and to the public. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy the great countryside we have in this country, this is why we are encouraging sites to provide facilities such as shepherds huts, glamping pods, tepees or bell tents.

The process is simple, read the information pack and campsite terms and condition, fill out the application form and return it to us or fill in the online form. Once we receive your application, one of our consultants will contact you to discuss the process and what you will need to do before we can certify your site. Once we are happy that your site is safe and suitable we will issue an exemption certificate to allow camping and caravanning to commence. We may need to contact your neighbours and local authority to ensure there are no objection.

Information pack & application form

Online application form

Annex1: country side code, caravan code, seashores code caravan spacing guide.

Campsite terms and conditions

Freedom camping club operates an a mutual benefit system. We offer free membership and 1 free night camping per year to every member. This adds a huge amount of value to being a member of the club and encourages members to visit our certified sites rather than other exempted sites or commercial campsites. It also encourages members to camp more, stay longer and return sooner. In addition it promotes recreational camping & caravanning, to people who didn't camp or caravan before.

Freedom Camping Club are very different to other camping and caravanning clubs, our aim is to promote camping and caravanning to everyone and make certified sites a widely available recreational resource to all. Other clubs operate exclusive to members policies and advertising restrictions which limit your market audience to around 300,000 and prohibit open advertising. We are a non-exclusive club giving you access to a market of around 6 million campers and caravan owners. With our glamping options you can further increase your market audience to the whole UK population of 64 million as owning a tent or caravan is not required.


Feature Freedom camping club Camping and caravanning club Caravan club
5 pitches 365 day




Tent camping


Yes Limited to 10 pitches


Open advertising




Open to non members




Seasonal pitches

Yes Why we allow this



Free membership Yes No No
Member Data access Yes No No
Rally licence Yes No No
Online booking and live availability (CS/CL) Yes
Club sites only
Club sites only
Glamping pods n Yurts Yes
Selected sites only



Mr R Corfield - The Oaklands Leisure and Fishery

'We opened our site on the 17 th of July , our expectations were low after being with The so called Friendly Club for about 14 years , the total camping bookings over that period of time could be counted on one hand, and the unreasonable rules and regulations made it not worth bothering.
A meeting with and encouragement from yourself and your relaxed views to us advertising 3rd party , being open to non members, we have by far exceeded our expectations, from the opening date until now we have grossed on camping alone over £2750 we still have 1 or 2 bookings coming in but expect to be quiet until way into the new year. The Freedom Camping Club from a landowners point of view definitely put the other two organisations to shame.'



Who is eligible to join our club?

Anyone involved in camping and caravanning activities. You can be a land owner, land manager or events organiser. An events organiser may not have permanent access to land but may rent or occupy temporary land for the purpose of camping/caravanning.

I have been refused planning permission, can I apply?

Yes. Exemption licenses are outside the scope of planning permission and in most cases a failed planning application would not prohibit an exemption certificate being issued. However the reason for planning refusal may also apply to the criteria of the club, so you would need to be assessed before we go ahead.

There are only 2 ways your local authority can prevent an exemption certificate being issue:

  1. Article 4 direction. This removes any permitted development for a site but is usually only seen near listed buildings, sites of significant historic, natural or scientific value.

  2. Paragraph 13. A local authority can apply to the courts to have an exemption removed. There has to be a very good reason for this.

Can I choose which exemption certificates I require?

Yes, we offer 4 individual certificates, 1 for tented camping, 1 for 5 all year caravan pitches, 1 for rallies and 1 for meetings; you can choose which option/s you undertake. You donít even have to take a certificate, you can just registering as a steward to get your site details listed in our website site search.

What is a rally?

A rally is a gathering of people. You can organise, host and supervise your own rallies on your site or any other site which has been approved by the club. Visitors to the rally don't have to be members of the club and don't have to have a specific interest other than they enjoy caravanning or camping.

You can organise a rally for a special event at your site, a local event or simply to coincide with a holiday period.


Is my land suitable for camping?

There are some basic facilities that are required legally, such as drinking water and toilet waste disposal but other than that there is little else required. The more facilities you have the more options we can offer.


Do you contact our neighbours?

Yes, we will contact anyone who may be impacted by your site to ensure they donít have any valid objections, this may include neighbours and your local authority. We will consider any valid objection and may limit your license condition.


Can I build a toilet block on my certified campsite

Building, excavations and other works will require you to make a planning application, an exemption certificate only allows the site to be used as a campsite and doesn't allow you to undertake work for the site.


Do I have to leave the Camping and Caravanning Club / Caravan Club.

No. You can choose to run your site as a dual certified site, but you can not hold the same type of certificate from two different organisation i.e You can have a 5 caravan pitch certificate from one organisation and camping or rally certificate from another, but you can not have a 5 pitch caravan certificate from both.


How long do certificates last.

A certificate will last for 1 year but may be withdrawn if your site no longer meets the criteria required to allow camping and caravanning activities or there is a breach of the code of conduct or your local authority makes a serious valid objection to your site.


How much does it cost.

With any club there are costs incurred so we have two methods of covering those cost. You can opt into the online booking system, to which there are no upfront cost, we simply take a small booking fee when a member books through the online system.  There is no cost for bookings taken by you over the phone or other means.  If this is unsuitable you can opt to pay a small monthly subscription of just £5 and a site administration fee of £5 per certificate.


How do I apply

If you have read the information pack and want to apply, you can fill in the application form attached to the information pack or apply online here. Once we receive your application we will review it and  contact you to discus your plans and arrange a site assessment. After the site assessment we will contact your local authority and neighbours if required. If there are no objections to the application we will then make you a formal offer, all you have to do is accept the offer and we will then issue you with the licences and you can start to accept caravans and campers to your site.

How do I advertise my site

We will advertise your site on this website, on social media platform such as Facebook, Twitter and Google+. We also encourage you to advertise on as many campsite directories, search facilities as you can.

If you have a special event or you are not meeting you expected occupancy, we will help to boost your bookings. We will do this by boosting social media campaigns, text marketing to members, email campaigns and search engine PPC campaigns.

We want you to be a successful as you can be. This benefits members, you and the club as a whole.